My Dad

My dad died on Monday very suddenly and unexpectedly. I'm at my aunt and uncle's home in Bellingham, Washington waiting for my immigration papers to come in so that I can go home to be with Mum and Ben.

Dad was my hero, my friend and simply my favourite person to be around. I miss him. I miss his laugh, his e-mail with helpful advice and tidbits about life on Salt Spring, working on projects that typically involved starting a very large fire. I miss just being in his presence because he had a great one. I couldn't have asked for a better Dad and I'm so lucky to have had the time I had with him.

GOOD, James Earl
1948 - 2007

Jim Passed passed-away suddenly and unexpectedly early Monday morning, April 30, 2007.

He is survived by his loving wife of 37 years Susan, brother Ian (Kathleen), daughter Sarah (Bill) and son Ben (Julia). Jim was predeceased by his mother Jean (Armet), father Earl and brother Bill.

Born and raised in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario. Jim enjoyed a wonderful childhood with his brothers and close friends. He graduated from WCI High School in 1967 as an accomplished basketball and football star.

He left home to join the RCMP in 1967 two days after turning 19. While in the force he served in Ottawa, Victoria, Alert Bay (where he met his future wife, a nurse while on duty at the local hospital), Nanaimo (where both Sarah and Ben were born), Bella Coola, Regina, Prince Rupert, Surrey and finally Courtenay, retiring as the Superintendent of the Island District.

Jim and Susan retired to their beautiful Island paradise on Salt Spring Island in 1999, passing the time raising chickens for eggs, volunteering to drive local seniors on daily errands an experience he cherished often saying "that is one volunteer activity I will never say no to" and spending time in his garden growing award winning giant pumpkins. One of his favorite pastimes was his duties as the Men's Club Captain at the local golf course. Jim, Sue and Sally, the family dog, could be found each day taking their morning walk along the oceanfront.

Jim's family and many friends across the country will miss his cheerful nature, infectious laugh and his "big" presence. He spent his life serving others and making those around him feel incredible. He will be sorely missed.

A celebration of Jim's life will be held Sunday May 6 at the Salt Spring Island Golf and Country Club, 805 Lower Ganges Rd., Salt Spring Island at 12:30 pm. The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the BC Heart and Stroke Foundation .