I Thought it Would be Fun

I don't know how they do it. Teachers, I mean.

My friend, Georgia, and I had the bright idea to sign on as substitute teachers for the school district. It seemed like a good plan. The deal is that we get called by the school and if we feel like working we do, and if we don't, we don't. Can't beat that.

Georgia's smarter than me because she stipulated that she only wanted to work with elementary school kids. I didn't specify and was asked to fill-in for the grade 7 math teacher for up to six weeks while he recovers from surgery. I agreed to take it on. What was I thinking?

During my first day on the job, a fight broke out in one of my classes. A full girl-on-girl fight. I'd never ever seen a girl-on-girl fight before (seriously) much less one in a MIDDLE SCHOOL! On my second day, the police showed up to discuss the death threat that was made to yours truly. Today was day three and I'm slowly getting used to being greeted by children, not with a hello but with the ever so classy, "who the hell are you?"

Trick or TreatOur neighbour, Pat, has gone out of his way to make Hunter and I feel welcome. This afternoon, he left us a message telling us to expect trick-or-treaters.

What I really didn't expect was to find them standing quietly in my kitchen waiting patiently for me to notice them. I guess that since houses here have arctic entrances, kids assume that their knocks aren't heard and just come on in. I feel badly for the first batch of kitchen lurking kids. I have no idea they were just standing there and I think they were there for a good 15 minutes.

For those unfamiliar with the term, an arctic entrance is a double entrance to a house that is designed to keep the cold out.

I hear shuffling in the kitchen, better run. Happy Halloween, everyone!