Alaskatarian Diet: Week 2

I have to admit, I'm thankful that my hubby got distracted by new plane parts in the mail and spent his long weekend rebuilding his plane rather than snaring rabbits in the backyard. I was ready for him if he did summon the desire to snare dinner. I reminded him of our agreement: If he hunts it and cleans it, I'll cook it. I also reminded him of the corollaries to said agreement: Cleaning includes removing fur or feathers. And feet. And most certainly heads.

I had all the ingredients for rabbit stew at the ready. Minus the rabbit of course. When it became clear there was no rabbit hunting going on, I created a lentil stew with red wine, lots of spices and a head of spinach that came in our bi-weekly delivery from Full Circle Farms.

Full Circle is a service that grows, sources and delivers organic farm-fresh produce on a subscription based service. Every two weeks, we collect a box that contains beautiful fruits & vegetables; some I've never tasted before. Persimmons, for example. I don't know why I've never thought to buy a persimmon but four weeks ago, two of them arrived in my Full Circle box. They're great! This week's mystery veggie is a Kubota squash. Cooking that will be pretty easy and I'm looking forward to seeing how it will taste.

Yesterday night, I thawed our last two un-smoked salmon steaks. I blackened those in a cast-iron skillet and served them with braised rainbow chard and buttermilk mashed potatoes. From  now on, I have to scour the net to find creative ways to eat smoked salmon. We're down to 20 smoked salmon, 5lbs of moose stew meat, one moose steak and some halibut that's probably been in the freezer a tad too long.

Dinner tonight: spicy black beans and rice.

Labels: , , ,